Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bear Lake Trail Run

I believe in always having a goal in order to keep things fresh and something to work toward. Well, no sooner that the Fiesta 5K was over, it was time for my next challenge, The Bear Lake Trail Run. Considering I wasn't fully healed from my hip fracture and I had NEVER done ANY trail running, I knew this would be just for fun.

Missy, Jennifer, and I before the race.



Let's just say it was an adventure. Trail running is suppose to be much easier on your legs, but I was so apprehensive. Altough they were marked, there were so many twigs and stumps sticking out everywhere. I never stopped looking down and worrying about my next step. Sure enough, poor Missy took a tumble, but got back up and kept trudging along to the finish.
Bear Lake is a gorgeous area for camping, hiking and outdoor family fun. It just so happens that Jennifer and I had recently taken our children out there for an afternoon trail walk. We walked out to the beautiful lake (I wish I had a picture. I now run WITH my camera.) and as we started back, a snake slivered past us. I don't do snakes!
No matter what, it was a PR for us as this was the first time we had done this race. I ran the 4 mile trail run in 50:15. Perhaps if I do more trail running to prepare for 2012, I will have a much improved time.
Something great happened after the race. We had a few women come up to us to talk to us about the Sole2Soul Sisters. Jennifer had worn her shorts and these ladies wanted to know more. After telling them more about our ministry and giving them information, this eventually led to yet another S2S Sisters group starting in a new community.
Jennifer and I after the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment