Sunday, January 22, 2012

Better Late Than Never-Maybe

I never was good at keeping a diary when I was young. I am the ultimate procrastinator. I always regret it though. So, many month later, I must share with you one of the best parts of being a runner. If you know me at all, you know I am a social creature. Although I don't talk too much while I'm running (I seem to be focused on things like breathing and putting one foot in front of the other), I love all the social aspects of running.
With Scott out as my running partner due to miniscus surgery, I decided I needed to find some new running buddies. While looking for race results, I came upon Mindy's blog: mindyrunning@blogspot.com. Mindy happened to be running some of the same races I had been and lives in a town about 30 minutes from me. To make a short story long (I'm good at that you know), we became FB friends, we met, and I soon learned of a wonderful ministry she and friends had started called Sole2Soul Sisters.
Since I was already contemplating starting a running group, I met with them and started this ministry here in Pace. I did not do much in the way of advertising, mostly word of mouth. We had our first meeting in February of 2011. My friend Jennifer said our first meeting was like a scene from the movie "Field of Dreams" since women just kept on coming. I spent the next 10 weeks training women in the Couch to 5K method. We prayed together, walked and ran together, and encouraged each other. In the end, 36 women ran the Fiesta 5K on April 30, 2011. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
Below is a picture of my "graduating class". We had a carb-loading party at my house the night before the race.



There are so many wonderful stories that I can tell you related to this 10 week journey with these women. So, let's just see if I can keep up with this blog and recollect some of them for you. 

Until next time...which better be tomorrow because I have a lot to catch up on!

No comments:

Post a Comment